Monday, July 27, 2009

Music Monday - Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs

If there was ever a girl on planet Earth that I ever loved more than Natalie Merchant I haven't found her yet (I know what you are thinking Milla but I got room in my heart for both of you). You know how you have this image in your mind that you think can't possibly ever be a real person? Even if you could create her in the lab you know you would never get all the ingredients right. That is how I felt about Natalie when I was in University. Of course I know nothing of how she is in real life but that is what makes the fantasy all the better. I could imagine her as the bohemian whirlwind full of creative energy and passion; fiercely intelligent and hauntingly beautiful. Someone whose sentences I could never finish in my head. I have maybe met five girls in my whole life that I can say that about. The group 10,000 Maniacs is best heard live and I am sorry I couldn't find any clips of their MTV Unplugged session which is one of my top five DVDs of all time. I always loved her and the band's appearances on David Letterman's show. Even he had a hard time hiding the crush he had on her.





3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

I was a fan in my early 20s, too. She has a great voice!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Holy christ I adore her. Her mom used to live near me when I lived in Roanoke VA. Sadly I never saw Natalie visit her.

Maddie said...

That's so funny. David Letterman was practically swooning over her.