Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hake's Americana Shopping Spree

 
This week’s assign­ment from The League was to pre­tend money is no object and go on a fan­tasy shop­ping spree at Hake’s Amer­i­cana & Col­lectibles . Part of Baltimore’s famous Geppi’s Enter­tain­ment Museum, Hake’s is a huge auc­tion site filled with tons of nos­tal­gic col­lectibles and pop cul­ture mem­o­ra­bilia. - Shezcrafti
 
This one was a lot of fun since I love looking through catalogues like the monthly Previews and of course the Hake's Americana Catalogue. Fantastic high quality photographs of the great auction items available. Some of the coolest stuff is certainly pricey but with that comes a guarantee of quality. This will be the last site I visit when my search for the Oscar Goldman figure finally drives me insane and I am willing to pay anything for him, his turtleneck sweater and his exploding briefcase.

The Hake's auction site is very addictive but after an hour or so of searching around I found my top choices if money was no object.


CAPTAIN ACTION ARSENAL, ANTI-GRAVITATIONAL POWER PACK AND FOUR FOOT PARACHUTE ($150)

 
Anything vintage Captain Action is terrific. I love the insane amount of detail that went into the guns, weapons and jetpack.
 
 
"JAMES BOND SECRET AGENT 007" LUNCHBOX & THERMOS ($150)
 


 
I was a huge James Bond fan as a kid and the films played often at the theater on the Base. The first show I ever saw at the Drive-In was Diamonds are Forever. I would have totally chosen this lunchbox until the Star Wars ones started coming out. Luke and Company was the only thing that snapped me out of my spy obsession.
 
 

"GI JOE" ADVENTURE TEAM "SEARCH FOR THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN" SET IN BOX. ($100)
 

 
Like all great Classic GI Joe sets, this one came with everything you needed to go on an adventure looking for the Abominable Snowman (who looks to just be a gorilla painted white). The genius of the concept was that you could combine all these pieces to take your figure into any hazardous environment. I got huge play value from this line of toys and I miss all the great pieces I used to have.
 
 
JAMES BOND "SECRET AGENT 007" ATTACHE CASE. ($330)
 



 
Perhaps the ultimate James Bond toy. If I had this I would have carried it with me wherever I went. I would learn how to put together the rifle and write code in the dark.
 
 
"THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. - ILLYA KURYAKIN" BOXED AURORA CANADIAN MODEL KIT. ($150)
 
 These Aurora models were the first ones I ever made. I preferred the characters over the cars, ships or airplanes but I gave up after I could never get the colors right. Man From Uncle was one of the first shows I got seriously into when we returned from Europe. I loved the whole idea of spies from different countries fighting forces other than the US or USSR. This is the way I am tending to remember the Cold War as I get old. Plus ILLYA KURYAKIN is just about the coolest name ever.
 
 
"SUPERMAN" BOXED CERAMIC FIGURAL COOKIE JAR. ($121)
 
I wouldn't mind having a whole collection of these great ceramic cookie jars based on the superhero characters I so love. They display so well and you can never have too many places to put cookies.
 
 
BATMAN BAT SYMBOL BUTTON. ($5)
 
 
Funky. Just a little off from the classic bat symbol we all know. I would feel hip wearing this pin on my vintage jean jacket. I would also like this symbol on a tshirt.
 
 
MECHANICAL MIGHTY ROBOT WITH SPARK. ($50)
 
 
Old tin robots that light up when they move are a cool thing to me. This in another collectible that I don't have nearly enough examples of. I love the color and design work that went into these robots and their packaging. They were cheap to buy when first manufactured but since then to find one in mint condition can be a pricey adventure.
 
 
Check the shopping spree that other Leaguers went on:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I had an Illya Kuryakin "Man from U.N.C.L.E." licence plate on my bicycle when I was a kid.

david_b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
david_b said...

Yessir, the Cap Action stuff was made when artistry went into toys, not that 'just-off-assembly-line' or 'oh, it'll do' mentality that came in during the '70s.

Like that GI Joe 'Soldiers of the World' line, simply a majestic marvel to behold, especially still in original shrinkwrap.