Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Digging Through My Long Boxes To Find A Different George R.R. Martin Project

 
Wild Cards is a science fiction and superhero anthology series set in a shared universe. The series was created by a group of New Mexico science fiction authors, but it is mostly pulled together and edited by best-selling author George R. R. Martin with assistance by Melinda Snodgrass, also a contributor to the series.

The series relates an alternate history of the earth after World War II. In 1946 an alien virus that rewrites human DNA is accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It kills 90% of those who come into contact with it (referred to as 'drawing the Black Queen'). However, 9% mutate into deformed creatures (known as 'Jokers') and the remaining 1% gain superpowers (known as 'Aces'). A percentage of the Aces are referred to as 'Deuces'. Deuces have acquired useless or ridiculous powers, such as the ability to levitate up to two feet, or to grow body hair at will. The airborne virus eventually spreads all over the world, affecting tens of thousands.


The Wild Cards universe is distinguished from most superhero comic book fiction by several thematic elements. Early on the authors decided to pursue a more realistic, or naturalistic approach to storytelling. Few of the Ace characters in Wild Cards have secret identities, or are traditional crime-fighting superheroes in the mold of Spider-Man or Batman. Wild Cards remained set within a recognizably real world with recognizably real people and pop culture and, because of the historical setting of many of the stories, had characters who aged realistically during the course of the series. The majority of Wild Card victims live in the run-down ghetto of Jokertown, while the fortunate Aces become glamorous celebrities. In addition, Wild Cards took a more graphic approach to violence, and particularly to sex, than most superhero stories do.

 
 
 
 
As I was contemplating whether or not to start watching Game of Thrones I was reminded of another George R. R. Martin  series of superhero comics. The concept is solid and creates a number of reluctant heroes and opportunistic villains to battle in a world that both 'hates and fears them'. These were printed on cardstock covers and cost a bit more but to me they were worth it. I was getting a complete story with an interesting group of characters that summarized the first three Wild Card novels. The art wasn't bad and it meant I didn't have to read the novels.
 
Hey, I was a busy teacher at the time. I needed some shortcuts. It was nice to offer it up as a choice for novel study once I got it approved by a very progressive principle who happened to like comics. The kids that went for it were begging the others to choose it the next time because it was so cool. They were like a club who understood the difference between a 'Joker' and an 'Ace'.
 

2 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I loved those books! I read the first three, I think. I picked up the graphic novels as well, but I don't think I ever read them. I'd lost interest by then. But the books were great. I loved Captain Trips... and The Turtle.

Big J said...

Loved Wild Cards, it is some of Martin's finest works ,incidentally the whole idea started from playing the roleplaying game Superworld Martin was the GM, and his players were the other authors! Man what I wouldn't give to game in a group like that!