Friday, May 10, 2013

Ellen Aim And The Attackers





Ellen Aim from Streets of Fire was the greatest singer of any era of rock music who never really existed. Played by Diane Lane (in her sexiest performance - you just adore her here) she is the girl you never forget. The one you come save when she is in trouble. The girl you can never be with because she deserves better than you and deep down you know it.

Oh Cody. Breaks my heart that Michael Pare does. I suspect this is another movie that NONE of you have seen (especially M.D. - what is wrong with you my brother? ) but it's a cool film if only for the actors, the visuals and what they created inside a Hollywood studio. Part of the fun is seeing how close they got to portraying daytime or night inside the box with it's rain machine and fake streets.

The whole thing plays out like a huge Broadway musical and that is how I have always seen it in my brain. The soundtrack was enormously popular at the time and was the second film (after Eddie and the Cruisers-another terrific movie) that spawned a popular soundtrack and also starred Michael Pare. What ever happen to him anyway? He was a reliable hard scrabble action hero.

Willem Dafoe is particularly creepy and villainous in this one but every character is over the top as they should be in a Rock and Roll Fable.

This came out mid-eighties but they try to go for a timeless vibe. In the end they made something that for me is everything the eighties and eighties pop culture was about. I loved this film the first time I saw it and I love it still.

Jeremy showed me at his site Retro-Z that there is a sequel to Streets of Fire called Road To Hell. It looks bizarre to me. Very bizarre. I don't know if I could watch it. It might ruin the original for me. Poor Cody. No one really gets out alive, right?



5 comments:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

did you know there is a sequel... "Road to Hell".. i was sort of involved... not in production.

links:

http://www.jmhdigital.com/search/label/Roxy%20Gunn%20Project

http://izombielover.blogspot.com/2012/11/six-strings-with-roxy-gunn-project.html

http://izombielover.blogspot.com/2013/03/albert-pyuns-triple-threat-film.html

Mike D. said...

hmmm...strange looking scenery...lots of green screen effects... but it can work in some cases like SIN CITY or 300...but not so much the Spirit...I'll give it a glance...the chicks are hot

Unknown said...

Ellen Aim will go down in my history as my first love. I wanted nothing more than to be Cody and rescue her.
Also appearing is a young Robert Townsend a personal favorite, before he started his Partner in Crimes specials.

Kal said...

I am glad to hear that someone else get's this movie like I do, Corey.

ThoughtCriminal said...

Looks like the universe of "Road to Hell" has at least one thing "Streets of Fire" did not: People that are younger than 18 and older than 25.