Thursday, May 9, 2013

Magazine Cover Story Of The Day

Those Millennials won't save us, they will be the reason for our doom. Once the internet dies and the cell phones gives everyone brain cancer, how will these twits fix anything?

They are all manufactured personalities who would start to get the shakes without their gadgets. I can remember a time before all this tech and we seemed to be okay. We sure played more outside and read more inside. We walked 40 miles to school, daily, in the snow, uphill, both ways, without shoes.

Who am I to talk because I love my computer. I suppose if I had and used a cell phone or IPad I would fall in love with them too. I know if I lost my ability to get online that I would no doubt die. That's a good thing, right? See, I am an idiot and I am smarter than these kids. How can they save the world? Maybe by not destroying it because they aren't paying enough attention to it to see how it really operates. So the less they get their grubby mitts on the better. I think I am beginning to fall for this theory.

 
TIME’s Joel Stein — who has a few Millennial traits himself — examines the overwhelming negative data about Millennials and argues that rather than being inherently self-centered or overconfident, millennials are just adapting quickly to a world undergoing rapid technological change. They’re optimistic, they’re confident and they’re pragmatic at a time when it can be difficult just to get by. Those aren’t bad qualities to have, even if it means they spend too much time on their phones.
 
 

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

As a Millennial myself I'm a bit a offended that I'm being lumped in those of the louder more eccentric variety that take up the spotlight.

The year of my high school graduation "You" was named Time's Person of the Year, so I think Time has a bit of the blame to shoulder in this situation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Time_youcover01.jpg

Also a bulk of the people I know who still live with their parents are college educated kids who can't find a job to support themselves and keep getting beaten down when they try to apply and find that they don't have enough experience that no one is offering.

Oh, does anyone want some soap? I seem to be standing on a box of it.

Kal said...

Preach away. You guys did get the screwgie but there will come a time very soon when you will be needed as millions retire to avoid some kind of government tax they will make up.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Funny you should mention retirement as I recently learned that my parents were seeking out retirement options and planning on traveling abroad. This is something that really seemed to come out of nowhere, and seemed especially alien to me as I'm still trying to catch the job train and thus couldn't fathom how anyone could want to, let alone afford to get out at this point in the economy.

Nathan said...

Will the magazine industry ever stop generalizing about large, diverse groups of people? And am I unfairly generalizing the magazine industry?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Every older generation thinks the upcoming younger generation is useless and doomed. Remember what the Greatest Generation thought of the Baby Boomers? Something along the lines of "long-haired hippy-type pinko fags"! And now the Baby Boomers are endlessly bitching about the Millennials. Feh.

Sam G said...

Joel Stein is smug fucking dildo.