Thursday, May 16, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness - Spoilers A Plenty

This one is a hard one to review. Half of me loved the space adventure and action but the other half of me is annoyed by a story that actually brought some shame to the great Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan. The writers thought that by getting cute with us Star Trek fans and doing the old 'switcheroo' that we would buy the load of crap they were selling. Everything fits too neatly into a story that is robbed of it's emotional weight because this is a NEW crew and a NEW Star Trek Universe. In this Universe, Kirk and Khan have never met but suddenly they have this blood feud going? I don't buy it for a second.


This movie just is a chance for people to run and jump and shoot and fight in space or on spaceships or on pieces of space ships. The effects are amazing and even more so in 3D. Lots of eye candy but unfortunately no brain candy. I saw the twists coming a mile up the road and if I didn't know the Trekverse like I do, I would have been lost. Lost at a Star Trek movie is not a good thing.

And the last minute save that keeps a major character from dying made me groan aloud. I haven't done that in a long time. Every actor does a great job with what they are given. They are certainly all game to do their best for the long time franchise. But the stupid use of Khan. the sloppy and shameful way that the film tries to play on my love for Star Trek left me feeling like I was anything but respected. It's a fine space adventure. Just not a fun story.

 

5 comments:

Wings1295 said...

I liked it and I think the 'feud' between them made sense, since Khan had just killed Kirk's father figure, Pike. Of course Kirk would want vengeance.

The Kirk dying and being revived bit was a bit too neat, I agree, especially since they practically shouted at this moment earlier with Bones and the tribble.

All concerned, I liked it. Fun Trek adventure. If (when) they do a part 3, they should do a completely new story. Little nods to Trek history are good, but big stories from the past should stay there. New adventures!

Brian said...

More shit from the team who gave you shit 4 years ago.

If only Sisko would show up in the Defiant and blow that abomination out the stars.

Chase March said...

Hey Kal,

I agree with you. It was an utter piece of crap. I am so tired of movies that have no emotional depth and lackluster storytelling. Star Trek always had those two things in abundance. The reboot tarnishes all that.

Kal said...

Glad you saw it my way. The more I think about it the more disappointed that I become.

Kal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.