Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ruth Wilson As The Next Doctor?

 
When Matt Smith leaves the role at Christmas time, we will be getting a new Doctor Who. I like all the speculation that is going on out there on the Intertubes and I just had to keep putting in my two cents. Actually this is stolen directly from The Wit And Weirdness of Al Bruno III because the second I read it I didn't need to see anymore candidates for the role. I adored Ruth in Luther even though she was playing a genius serial murderer. I think she could handle the Doctor with that same kind of fire. In Luther she was a character with an overconfident view of her her own intelligence. The kind of risk taking that results from such self delusion is exactly what the Doctor is all about.

 
I remember saying to my buddy Robert Orndoff a couple years ago that I wasn't opposed to the idea of a female Doctor, but aside from some unlikely candidates like Tilda Swinton, I couldn't think of someone who'd just naturally fit the part like a Tom Baker or Matt Smith. He quickly replied "Ruth Wilson". I said, "Who?" So he told me to check out the (great) show LUTHER, and I immediately got what he was talking about. She's a truly strange and quirky screen presence that just screams "Doctor", and the show should get her before lousy Hollywood movies do (she's already in THE LONE RANGER- egads). And since i'll never get to be the showrunner of Doctor Who myself (because the rest of you are crazy- I'm the only sane one- yes, me), here's a full-blown Wikipedia-style entry for "my" 12th Doctor (at least till this timeline gets erased on December 25th)... ;)
 
 

1 comment:

david_b said...

I'd be in her Box any day..

A female Doctor would be awesome.