Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Horror Of The Calgary Flood


 
I hate seeing the zoo all flooded out. I know they have contingencies for the evacuation of the avenues because that island is on the Bow River and that river often floods due to mountain water run-off in the spring. It's just all a huge mess for everyone.


 
I know I wouldn't trust a rickety ride at the Stampede that is built on a foundation of soft earth. It would be a shame if the Calgary Stampede had to be cancelled because postponing it doesn't work given the professional rodeo circuit schedule and the North American fair schedule. Many events are planned years in advance. No one has said anything about the Stampede Parade but there are still a few weeks before that is meant to happen.


 

4 comments:

D.I. Felipe González said...

Yikes! That´s what happens when you build a city over a river bed (believe me, I know for México city was once a lake).

M. D. Jackson said...

You know the irony of all this is that only last summer experts were saying that Calgary's infrastructure could not be expanded and the population could not be sustained due to a lack of water.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, I don't see how Stampede Park can be ready in 2 weeks. It would be a real shame to cancel it though.

Kal said...

But ALL Canadian cities, especially in the prairies are built near a water source. Stupid mountain run-off and flood planes.