Thursday, August 8, 2013

Leauge Of Extraordinary Bloggers - Nightmares


This week the League want to hear about what frightens me. Well aside from things that live in the ocean, aliens, robots, robot aliens, zombies, robot alien zombies, wiener dogs, jack-in-the-boxes, movies with torture in them or movies where horses are killed, there is THIS short produced by the NFB (National Film Board of Canada).

Every person of a certain age in Canada remembers this one. The CBC played it with several other short films as bumpers between commercials when they had no commercial time sold. It often appeared early in the morning or late at night.

I remember falling asleep watching TV one night when I was about 7 and I woke to the start of this. I was horrified and hypnotized at the same time. It wasn't until the end that they really got to me and that final image frightened me the most. When you see it you will know.

Now imagine waking to that with only the light from the TV lighting the room. At that point a chainsaw wielding maniac would be a nice change of pace. It was the first time I could remember my heartbeat in my own head. Frozen with fear at a time when I couldn't just reach for the remote and change the channel because THERE WAS NO REMOTE!! They didn't exist with our model of color TV. CAN YOU IMAGINE!!

Humans actually had to get out of their chairs to change the channel to one of the 11 or so stations that you got in the 1970s. And one of those channels was French and it was useless. Zut Alors, the horror!

Oh and that Renaissance flute music isn't helping things one bit either. It's like The Friendly Giant had turned on me and gone from my friend to my torturer.



1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's true. Friendly had a dark side.