Sunday, January 19, 2014

47 Ronin


First of all I don't know why the most famous Japanese tale of heroism and sacrifice has to have so many monsters and demons in it. I doubt that feudal Japan was thick with these kinds of creatures and that is one of the many things right and wrong with 47 Ronin.


That being said, the special effects are exiting and definitely have the nice eastern touches that I have come to expect when I watch my beloved Chinese cinema. This one has just enough Western movie touches to make it almost unworkable but that doesn't mean that everyone isn't game to try. It's just needed more action throughout and a much better script that doesn't rely on such clichés as,

"I'm not afraid of you."

"You should be."


Keanu unfortunately hasn't become a much better actor over the years. He has two styles, moody surfer guy and doopy surfer guy. Here he ramps up the ennui to an 11. Of the two choices I guess he made the right choice, given the material and lack of surfboards in Feudal Japan.

However, the story of the 47 Ronin, the most famous legend in Japanese history, is such a good tale that it doesn't need all these flourishes. Or Kianu Reeve. But this is the movie we got and this is the movie that I am currently watching.


Reeves of course is the half breed outsider who helps a group of Samurai Warriors after their lord is killed and they become Ronin - masterless Samurai. Everything is all epic and Shakespearean and everyone takes their roles very seriously but with all the mystical elements that somehow works.

I got tired early on of all the Japanese racism against the 'half breed'. For honorable men the Samurai were not very accepting. As one says after they have been stripped of rank.,

"The Half Breed cannot come with us, he is not Samurai."

"None of us are Samurai anymore".

 
But Keanu is a brilliant fighter and eventually earns the respect of his Ronin brothers as you would expect him too. All the evildoers are revenged up and balance is restored to the universe once again.

 

 
Despite some cool visuals at the end, this story takes FORVER to get to the final battle and that last only about 15 minutes. I really enjoyed watching how 47 guys could defeat an entire army by using guile and bravery. Save your time and money and watch this when it comes on regular TV...or don't. This one is totally forgettable and that is a shame because the true historical source material is so compelling.
  


It's better for you to read this comic by Sam Sakai who wrote the best comic I read last year about the story of the 47 Ronin by Mike Richardson and Stan Sakai, creator of the brilliant Usagi Yojimbo from Dark Horse comics.


I have the individual issues but I will be looking for the collected Trade Paperback too. Check with your library and ask them to order it. It's as good as any historical novel you have ever read.

 
To be clear, this is not a revenge story. This is the revenge story against which all others should be measured. The lengths to which Asano’s former retainers go to gain justice for Asano is astounding, and this is where readers get a true understanding of the concept of bushidō, the “way of the warrior,” a samurai code that involves holding true to concepts such as loyalty and honor.


 
 

 
This would be an excellent school resource for teaching about the way of life in Feudal Japan during Grade 7 Social Studies.
 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I wanted to see this on the big screen but waited too long. Now it's only playing late at night in 3D at faraway theatres I don't like to drive to. So I'll wait for it on TV. I finally saw The Hobbit today and enjoyed it. Waiting for the crowds to die down can be tricky because sometimes I wait too long and miss out.

j-swin said...

It's a shame that we as westerners don't have the patience to sit through a really good subtitled Asian l movie like the yojimbo trilogy or seven samurai but we'll keep pumping out half assed eastern influenced slop just to fill the seats.

Kal said...

I totally agree with you. This one is a mess and took nothing that is good about east or west movies and incorporated into this one. I love those Chinese historical epics even with subtitles. Red Cliff (the full version) is an epic not to be missed.

Mike said...

If you go to see the film without any baggage, meaning forgetting the actual story, and simply view it on its own merits its a actually a good film. I took my boys to see it and they loved it. I especially like that its clean. No language or gore.

The best fight is the big forest demon. That thing was really cool. it reminded me of the monsters from Princess Mononoke.