Sunday, January 12, 2014

Going Through My Voluminous Collection Of Teaching Resources And Binders


And trying to adapt them to the adult students I will be teaching to write their High School Equivalency exam in March. They pasts that test and they are high school graduates. It`s a pretty big life accomplishment to come back, as a adult, and write what is not an easy test. Multiple choice questions on Math, Science, Language and Social Studies. We also follow a pretty strict writing template because the essay they get evaluated on is written on both sides of one sheet of lined paper. Not a lot of room to show you can write so you have to be organized and know what you are doing to get a passing grade.


 
This is actually a phony diploma made to look exactly like a real one which you can purchase for $195 dollars. If you going to receive recognition for something you didn`t earn yourself why not get a Caribbean Medical Degree while you are at it.
 
When I was first starting as a teacher I begged any experienced teacher if I could take a trip through their old binders for fresh ideas on presenting the material. Luckily many teachers love to show off their brilliance to other teachers, especially young punks looking for mentors.

Someone on Facebook just posted this page which will be PERFECT or teaching the very basics of fractions - we start math with 1 + 1 assuming that no one knows anything. I want to make sure that they have all the knowledge and tricks they need to defeat the math portion of the test.

 
As a student, Math was my worse class because my math education had gaps in it due to teachers that moved too fast for me. I just needed more time and practice with the problems and there would be no problems. I was smart in every other class so they just let me slide in math - much to my detriment.
 
These students won`t get a pass from me. Lots of worksheets or problems and I think I will start a class with a short 10 question test to make sure that everyone is keeping up with the work.
 
In High School I lost my spare in Grade 11 because I had to take Math 20 again. In grade 12 lost my end of day, second semester spare so I could repeat the fail in Math 30 from the first semester. Math was my nemesis but I was the school`s best actor.
 
I was up at the Award Ceremony with those kids getting metals for having the top mark in Physics 12, Chem 12 ect...and there am I with my medal and trophy for DRAMA. I was not the smartest one up on stage but I gave the best and funniest thank you speech, just like I would have written if I was a winner at the Academy Awards.
 
Even to stay in college I had to take a foreign language (French) and go to the education center for MATH 101 - a full year course that I HAD  to pass to stay in college. They also taught right from the beginning with 1+1. It wasn`t until THEN that I finally understood Math enough to teach it to the kids I eventually taught math too.
 

3 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

You should take a look at Khan Academy. Great math resource for students.

Unknown said...

I know of that but thanks for reminding me. I might need a tune-up and make sure the students know the resource exists for them. Good to hear from you my friend.

Chase March said...

Hey Kal,

Lego Fractions?!?!?

Very cool. I will have to try that some day with my class.