Friday, January 17, 2014

I Got My Mother A Tablet Today

So I have been playing around with it all night trying to figure out how to work things. I got a firm handle on how to download TV shows to it so that she can watch her shows or a movie from her bedroom. I usually burn her CDs for her DVD player but with this one the download is instantaneous and not an hour process doing all the converting and burning. The external sound is not the greatest but I will look for some nice headphones for it. The color on the screen is spectacular and clear, however. I never thought they could get such a great picture on a device the size of a Kindle.

She wants to use this to Skype with her Grandchildren in Australia and to surf the net and play some games. I think this will be so much easier for her that a laptop or a table top computer with a mouse. The woman never could 'get' the concept or the relationship between the cursor and the mouse. All this requires is a tap of the button and she can already do that with her Kindle.

I am not very happy with the camera and still need to play around with it to see if it will be of any use to me. Right now it only takes pictures of me looking at the screen...and not very good pictures at that...poorly lit. I wonder if I can reverse the camera so it takes photos like a cell phone camera or my digital camera. Back to the tiny manual to figure all that stuff out. GAH. Always with the learning.

 

4 comments:

Mike D. said...

I got my wife a Kindle fire 7.5 ...She loves it. So fat since Christmas she has read 3 Patterson books and 2 of those 50 shades books... Right now she's doing jig saw puzzles and she uses it for youtube and facebook all the time. She loves it. Your Mom is gonna love that tablet...in the long run. So much use and clarity out of that 7" screen.

Mike D. said...

So far since christmas...lol

Kal said...

I had fun messing around with it today. Once we get our WIFI next week she wan get online if I figure out how she can do that. The manual is so tiny that I think everything will be trial and error. I like that I could load a movie on it for ever in about twenty seconds and it played.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sweet!