Wednesday, January 1, 2014

James Avery Dead At 65

Of all the TV dads who had a part in raising me, one of the most impactful was James Avery as Uncle Phil on the Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air. It was a Will Smith vehicle which would have worn out it's welcome very early on if not for Avery's strong performance and the way he anchored the whole situation in it's own kind of weird reality. It was a high concept but it worked. Like the Cosby's the Banks family was black and rich, something you never saw on network TV. It created many funny 'fish out of water' situations that played on the strengths of the entire cast of that popular show.


But most of all Avery was a strong man and father with morals who wasn't concerned that his kid's liked him - only that they respected him. He 'showered Will with tough love' is probably the best line I heard about his acting style on the Fresh Prince today. I took that attitude into the classroom everyday. Avery was a strong, positive, male role model - maybe one of the very few - for a whole generation of children raised in the 80s and early 90s in front of their television sets. There was a time when I watched the Fresh Prince everyday. It was a huge hit in syndication.

 
I will never forget this following scene for as long as I live. Shows that anyone can be a father but it takes a special person to be a dad. That is the first lesson I always take away each time I see it. This is a Will Smith moment but without Avery there to act as a quiet sounding board this scene falls apart. The popular myth is that this scene was totally unscripted and was an improvisation that made Will Smith a star. Avery had a lot to do with creating Will Smith the actor and I am interested in hearing his memories of the man. Thanks for everything you taught me Uncle Phil.
  


7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I liked him too. He wasn't obnoxiously annoying like Bill Cosby.

Unknown said...

Hey was the voice of Shredder too if am correct for the original Ninja Turtles cartoon.

Kal said...

You are right. He was the Shredder. More pop culture props to Brother Avery.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Oh! Looks like John beat me to the punch on the voice of Shredder.

There are plenty of videos out there that swap out the two characters dialogue. Here's just one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfPySu-Tlk

Wings1295 said...

He was well liked for good reason. He will be missed.

david_b said...

The highest praise would be simply.., 'I wish he was my Dad..'

Sleep well, Mr. Avery and our humble thanks.

Nerd Out With Me said...

This episode always made me tear up. RIP Uncle Phil.