Monday, January 13, 2014

Now THIS Is In My Wheelhouse

I can talk for days about what a crappy comic book artist Rob Liefeld is. He is probably one of the few major artists to have ever worked who never got any better over the years. The weirdest thing is that his style was once all the rage. It was 'hip' and 'now' and what every kid copied and wanted to be able to draw like. It was an abomination. I bought into it for all of five seconds until the weird anatomy and extra pouches and car sized guns and no feet took me right out of any story they were wanting to tell.

Unlike everyone else, I hate Deadpool and actively avoid his appearances in comics because that character sums up everything that is wrong with Leifeld and comics in general.

Follow the link if you want to see more horrible Rob Liefeld art. The guys who wrote the first scathing post about the crap are back with more delicious examples of what you don't want to achieve in life if you aspire to be called an artist.

To know that he was so close to Jack Kirby that he could actually have a long conversation with the great man makes me sicker than you can know. I know Rob tried to help bring some cash to Kirby but he also shamelessly attached himself to a legacy that was not his due. If Kirby was such an influence then why do I see NONE of the Kirby technique in his work. I don't because it's not there.

This article is great. Full of the kind of Liefeld bashing that I can't get enough of.

 
 
This one has all the signature Liefeld touches:
 
1. Pouches worn around the thighs, even when you aren't wearing pants.
2. People who grow hair only on the very tops of their heads.
3. Guns that are literally bigger than people.
4. Women with waists the size of their wrists, standing like they're trying to take a shit on a swingset.
5. Hidden feet, because drawing is hard.
6. Characters standing on different levels of an unseen surface.
 
Seriously, unless Badrock is walking on Cotton Hill stumps his leg should go down another ten feet.
 
Out of all of that, my favorite part of this is the lady aiming a gun (with a LASER SIGHT) at the ground while she looks over her shoulder. In an eye patch. And she's kind of a robot! Shouldn't that green line be going through Badrock's leg? Hey lady, you wouldn't have to wear pouch belts around your waist and leg if you put on a pair of pants.
 
 
Is Warchild too violent for you? Alienated by Shatterstar's polyamory and bisexuality? Try PROPHET, who is exactly the fucking same as Warchild and Shatterstar except he wears a shirt and lives an eXtremely heterosexual life of leaping through the forest at dusk with his squatting midget friend. His, uh, shirtless midget friend. In a headband.
 

5 comments:

j-swin said...

"...trying to take a shit on a swingset ." is literally the funniest thing I've ever heard. Thank you.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I am with you. I hated his art and I am no fan of Deadpool.

Hobgoblin238 said...

I love his art. Superheroes are SUPPOSED to be over the top.

Konsumterra said...

im with deadpool hate club - this artist made me stop collecting comics and many of his creations with costumes that made no sense

Tim Knight said...

Wow! There I was "suffering" in silence, thinking I was the only one who hated Deadpool and actively took steps to avoid his appearances in comics.

Thanks, Cal (and others) for letting me know I am not alone.