Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cave Of Cool Update


I have to tell you that despite all my anxiety (which I realize is just another ghost that I live with) I have been killing it at the GED school. The only thing that is keeping ANYONE from succeeding after my tutelage is not showing up and I am getting annoyed at the ones who CAN succeed who haven't been showing up. I am annoyed that they aren't there for me to help them. To teach them the math - step by step, inch by inch. I hate that I have to take them from where they are at and almost teach each one individually. Well they have broken up into three groups, strong, medium and weak and I have to juggle them all and try to keep them asking questions of things they don't understand.

Does that make any sense?

I also have 3 ladies that I have been tutoring in Math for the past month. We started with 1+1 because they had all failed their math portions of the GED test previously and needed my help. Starting from the beginning is my process. Three more sessions with them then I have to develop ESL (English as a second language) stuff to help about 5 guys who need extra help with the reading and writing portions of the test which, besides the math, is ALL the rest of the tests.

That will be a huge challenge but I have some Batman Adventures and Superman Adventures comic books and other lower level English stuff to help fill in some of the gaps. Maybe I can fill in enough to give them a fighting chance at the test. Either way they WILL learn something that they can take into the next time if they have to re-write portions of the test.




So that is my process. I know, not as interesting as most things I post but I just got home from class and there is no one here to vent to, so I vent to y'all. Today was class 16 of 40. I feel like I am hitting my groove. Keep a good thought out for me and my students.

 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I can empathize with your anxiety as I've started a new job as well that I'm still trying to get a feel on.

People like us with such creativity have great problem solving skills, but I think it forms some mental barriers as well because we can depict the worst coming to pass as well as the good.

Kal said...

Also sometimes you can't put a time limit on creativity. I am always under a time crunch to keep the mass moving forward towards the end while trying to keep the stranglers caught up.

j-swin said...

Keep up the great work, brother.

Wings1295 said...

Great news, Cal. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad to hear it's going well, Cal! You're a good teacher. Don't get annoyed with the slackers and no-shows. Missing out on your tutelage is their loss and you are not responsible for their bad choices.