Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Good On Ya, Mate

 
After Ann Coulter referred to President Obama as a retard in a tweet during Monday night's presidential debate, Special Olympics athlete and global messenger John Franklin Stephens wrote this open letter:

Dear Ann Coulter, Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren't dumb and you aren't shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult? I'm a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public's perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night. I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have. Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next. Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift. Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more. After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV. I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash. Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor. No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much. Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged. A friend you haven't made yet, John Franklin Stephens Global Messenger & Special Olympics Virginia.
 
I have never made it a secret that I find Anne Coulter to be repulsive both physically and intellectually. She is the worst kind of talking head who needs to make it all about herself as she feeds the red meat to the Conservative racists who can't get enough of that kind of hatred. If anyone deserved a true smackdown from the Special Olympics, it would be her. Couldn't happen to a nicer C***.
 

12 comments:

david_b said...

Seems to me like Mr. Stephens needs something more to do. I personally would not associate the challenges Mr. Stephens faces with the R-word, nor the stigma. I think that went away decades ago.

Perhaps the R-word has indeed reached the sensitivity point of the N-word.. I dunno.

She could have been more sensitive, but sir, you've lobbed quite a few derogatory verbage at seemingly backwards folks down South here, which you've admitted never having even lived there.

"Are we calling the kettle black, sir..?"

It also seems your reference to the 'C' word hasn't excluded you in any way or manner from her level. Interesting.

Unknown said...

Here, here! The c-word is my least favorite of all the demeaning words out there (cause hey, there is nothing wrong with a beautiful vagina), but people like Ann deserve all the hate they get. I'm assuming that you do indeed like vaginas, but only dislike specific c**ts like her. Too bad that she, and people like her, feed off of any good and evil sent their way. Kinda like our own Rob Ford, just a bit less appealing.

Kal said...

Thanks Duff. There is no defence for Coulter because she knows better. I only use the C word for the real agregious characters.

Big J said...

My biggest complaint about this post Kal? You let that bitch off WAY too easy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope this wonderful letter gets widespread attention. It deserves to.

But don't call Ann Coulter a c*** (as you so charmingly put it). It's unfair to c***s everywhere.

BTW, "cunt" is a fine Olde English word. It comes from the same root word as "cunny" or "coney" which means "rabbit." So it's really a medieval reference to petting the bunny, eh?
Nothing wrong with that.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Seems to me like Mr. Stephens needs something more to do.

I hope he has your e-mail, for next time he decides he wants to hear condescending advice from someone who clearly wants to stand up for the honor of the word "retard".

As for Cal not living in the South, who cares? One doesn't have to live in a place to have a decent handle on their general politics.

Kal said...

Kelly, I could kiss you, you magnificent overall wearing bastard.

dan muray said...

I like Anne sometimes and her books are good, but this comment is wrong on so many levels, editorial name calling is wrong for any side here....you would hope all would be more positive as this accomplishes nothing..if she is so smart why is she not president...ugh...LOL dan m.

profsafety said...

I don't agree with Coulter on most things, but I don't attack her personally, as I don't know her personally. But her hateful comments cause me to have no respect for her. She's a professional troll, just looking to troll the public, to get publicity. The best thing is to ignore the troll. It's tough, but attention is their oxygen. Cut that off, and they soon wither away.

Mike D. said...

Oh that Ann...Bless her heart... ;)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I was thinking about this post last night and realized you should have just called her a mewling quim, LOL!

Nathan said...

Coulter isn't shallow? I thought that was pretty much her entire thing. All her insults are incredibly juvenile.