Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Captain America 2 - The Winter Soldier (Spoiler Alert)


I am glad to see this movie is getting both critical and popular praise because it is quite possibly the best superhero movie I have ever seen. The villains are believable and the action sequences are top notch. You really understand WHY Captain America is the hero that he is. How he moves and fights is just the way I imagined it while reading the comic. I can see why he is the ONLY man for the job when that job is saving the world.


And what a great performance by Robert Redford of all people. He played the leader of Hydra as a matter of fact realist who maybe had the human races best interests at heart. Could that be possible?Or is he just another nihilist - another agent of chaos? To watch a movie that makes me ask those questions is beyond thrilling - especially when it's a Marvel comic book movie.


The stunt work and fight scenes are realistic as is the hardware that everyone employs. I really liked seeing the Falcon in full fight and flight mode. Every second of him flying from jets and anti-aircraft guns is beyond thrilling. I wanted more.


The script is full of enough twists and turns to keep you totally involved in the story even though you knew the end result was never in doubt. I liked how it compartmentalized the Captain America Universe and never left you wondering why there was no Hulk or Iron Man in sight. This is the same world but a very unique part of it.

Things blew up and they blew up good. I was not annoyed by all the explosions as I usually get with these blockbusters. Even the destruction was paced to perfection.


This is the one to take your kids to on a rainy Saturday afternoon. The action and adventure is taken down to a realistic level that is more HEROIC than SUPER and walks that fine line is spectacular fashion.

 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Could you keep the bits about Robert Redford's big reveal a secret for a little longer, or maybe put up some spoiler tags. We Americans don't even get to see our own hero in action on screen until this upcoming weekend.

Unknown said...

Will be seeing this one next week.

Kal said...

I thought about that but the horse is already out of the barn.

Mike said...

I wasn't aware that this was in theaters yet!I feel ashamed that I havent seen it yet!

Kal said...

I got to see an early screener. I know a guy who knows a guy.