Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My People Remember...THEY REMEMBER!


Mr Chudobiak my business and typing teacher in grade 9. We called him CHABOBO. He looked like Nicolae Ceausescu, the dictator of Romania. He couldn't say the word deodorant. He would say DEEODORANT with his thick accent. He taught the boys sex ed and called masturbation 'manipulation'. No wonder I don't have a girlfriend.

If you were a slacker in his typing class he would make you use the manual typewriter and not the electric one. Guess how many times I was on that piece of junk? Home Row was drilled into my fingers just trying to press hard enough on the keys to make a mark on the paper. It was a nightmare.

If you got 80 or above as a grade in that school you were exempt from all final exams. I had NO exams to write that year so I was off two weeks early for the summer. TWO WEEKS!!! But HE made me complete ALL my typing assignments especially the one to the fucking business letter to the DURODENT TOOTHBRUSH COMPANY. Five mistakes and you had to do it over and I must have did that letter a thousand times.

I spent a week trying to get that one right and the bastard STILL made me take the TIMED typing final. Oh my god I hated him. He is dead now and I know he now teaches typing in HELL.

Now the good part. Today I can type like a concert pianist plays the piano. I type like the wind. It's the only reason I am so prolific with my posts. They take mere MINUTES to complete my thought. I type it almost as fast as I think it and it's all because of that fluffy haired prick.

Bless you Chabobo.

 

6 comments:

Mike said...

Beautiful

Dr. Theda said...

Took Two semesters (6 months) of classes ... and max-speed is 10 to 13 "words a minute....

Megan said...

Ha!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I remember during my senior year of high school, I had already taken my required courses, now I just needed to take classes to fill out the necessary credit hours. I already maxed out my electives in the morning with Advanced Art, Advanced Literature and Film Studies, so I needed to take a a business class to pad out the last credit hour I needed so I chose "Intro to Typing".

It was a freshman course to be sure, and not terribly challenging. I could get a day's assignment done in about fifteen minutes. Even better, if we turned in our assignments early the teacher would let us go on the Internet, something I guarantee they would not allow today. Given how there was no YouTube, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter or Pirate Bay at the time, I read webcomics like PVP Online and looked up rumors regarding when this new fangled "Doctor Who" program would be coming to American TV.

Honestly I wonder if they even have this class in high school anymore since it seems like kids today are being introduced to keyboard technology even earlier than we were.

Jordan said...

Do they not teach typing any more?

I mean, it's still relevant (obviously). I guess with the superior error correction of computers (you can just backspace or reposition and overtype rather than having to bust out the old Liquid Paper -- remember that crap?) it's less crucial.

But they should still teach it! I know a lot of people whose typing isn't what it should be. (And I know a disquieting number of people who use one finger to text on their smartphone keyboards, which is insane.)

Kal said...

They teach KEYBOARDING...I would always challenge any kid who could beat me in a typing test would get my twenty dollars. Never had to give up the dough. But they typed their lessons and concentrated on home row with Mavais Beacon and if they got done their lessons with mastery then they could have free internet time. Never have you seen a faster typing class, especially on the reserves. They were motivated perfectly because few had internet at home.