Thursday, April 17, 2014

Son Of Batman - Currently Playing At The Bijou Of Cool



You all know what a huge fan of Damian Wayne that I am. He is the true son of Batman and Talia Al Ghul and grandson of Ra's Al Ghul. Raised by the League of Assassins he was introduced to his father when an attack by Deathstroke left Ra's dead and Talia needed to keep Damian safe. The result is one of the best Batman features I have seen come out of DC Animation.

 
Once again I was surprised to see that this animated film didn't pull back on the kill shots and death blows like previous DC features such as Justice League - War and Wonder Woman. Many henchmen are taken out with extreme prejudice. Maybe this isn't a good Batman film for the little ones. The fight scenes are that intense.
 
That being said, I loved watching Damian going toe to toe with Deathstroke. This kid is more than a match for anyone he goes up against and I am so glad they found him a opponent worthy of his skills but one who also has the abilities to kill Robin, which is something Deathstroke spends most of the movie trying to do. I actually feared for Robin's ability to overcome such a superior opponent. It made his struggle all the more interesting and satisfying. The fight choreography in this one is superb. I would so love to see this made into a live action sequel to the next Batman movie. I am so sick of origin stories and this tale would be fresh and thrilling. It's the way I always hoped Damian's introduction to DC Animation Universe would be.

 
There are so many cool character moments especially between Damian and Alfred (who he refers to as "Pennyworth" like he is a servant). Damian also does little to endear himself to Batman at first but they both grow to admire and trust each other after Batman polishes down some of Damian's rougher edges. I really enjoyed watching Damian grow into a hero after only spending a short time with his father.



There is also the inclusion of a character I won't reveal. It would be cruel to ruin that surprise. Suffice it to say he's a welcome addition and adds another perspective to the adventure unfolding before us.

I can be thankful for two things with this film. One is that they finally got a character I love right. Damian Wayne is the best character to be introduced into DC in the last 20 years and he deserves his place in Batman's world. I could watch a whole series with Damian as Robin.


Secondly I am so happy that Grant Morrison, the guy who re-introduced then killed off Damian in the comic books had NOTHING to do with this feature. Anything he could have added would have diminished a good script that hit all the right story and character points for me. I love the way they got the RELATIONSHIPS right. You see how each hero interprets Batman's mission in their own way.

In truth, Morrison never invented anything. Batman Son of The Demon By Mike W. Bar introduced the idea of a child between Talia and Batman. It's also one of the best Batman graphic novels ever.

 

No comments: