Monday, April 7, 2014

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

 
The animation on this 2013 remake of the 70s Japanese cartoon. It was one of the first anime series that I watched while having no idea what the hell was going on. Like G-Force and Astro Boy, they really didn't put to much effort into the English translations. And everyone had those weird big eyes.





Captain Harlock is a fictional character created by manga artist Leiji Matsumoto. Harlock is the archetypical Romantic hero, a space pirate with an individualist philosophy of life



But then I watched this animated remake and found a new love for this Captain Harlock. He is all tortured and moody which as you know is my favorite type of anti-hero. The movie moves at a glacial pace but I loved the effects. This is dense rich storytelling which rewards you if you pay attention to what is going on. I admit that I took two days to finish this one. After the first hour I needed a break because it felt like three hours had passed. For once that wasn't a bad thing. I don't know how to describe it. Many of these Japanese films affect me the same way. I like most of them but I can explain why.





Toei Animation has updated the official site for the CG animated film adaptation of Space Pirate Captain Harlock with the second teaser. The video contains some new footage with one of the major set-pieces featuring the skull-emblazoned starship Arcadia launching its infamous ram attack.

Based on the 70s space opera manga by Matsumoto Leiji that spawned various anime interpretations, the original storyline centers on a rebellious space pirate and his outlaw crew preventing the alien plant women known as the Mazone from conquering Earth.

The sci-fi reboot will be helmed by Aramaki Shinji (Appleseed EX Machina) and scripted by Harutoshi Fukui, with the animation produced by
Marza Animation Planet. Boasting a hefty $30 million production budget, Toei will utilize the latest filmmaking technology to present the most cutting-edge animation.



 
The Ghost Ship they flew, the Arcadia, is also a sweet piece of hardware.
 



 

1 comment:

Mike said...

That bird is awesome