Friday, July 11, 2014

I Don't Know Art But I Know What I Hate

And I think I hate these 'selfie' covers from DC Comics. It may have something to do with my hatred for the word 'selfie' or it could have more to do with the weird perspective that the artists are forced into by the 'selfie' requirement of the task. None of these work and some of them are just terrible. I suppose I should be happy with the effort but it just leaves me cold.


 
What kind of water is this clear and what kind of camera takes such a perfect, distortion free picture under water?





 
This is the perfect example of my point. The upper cover is great. A true out of focus selfie with Damian and his dad. The bottom one would NEVER HAPPEN, even on a lost bet. Batman don't do the 'selfie'. He just doesn't. Pictures like this go viral and suddenly his rep as a badass is ruined forever.

 

8 comments:

Mike D. said...

Commissioner Gordon's cork board is the best and only one that makes any sense. However the Underwater selfie...was taken with a cell phone of special design. The kind only super types can have. Designed by Wayne Enterprises.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Damian Wayne one is the cutest alright. But I like the last one too. Batman is SUCH a grump.

Kal said...

That's his whole identity though. Even to his friends he can be a real pill to take at times.

Dr. Theda said...

We see that Superman knows how to make the Bat "Smile"....

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I hear you. If it was one cover that'd be alright, but with everyone doing it, comes across like a tacky gimmick to desperately appeal to the hip young crowd.

When they decide to do a month of "Scarlett Johanssoning" covers, please let me know.

Fat Basterd Inc. said...

Finally someone with a brain and common sense. I thought I was alone.

Kal said...

No, you are not alone FB.

Kal said...

Check out the Batgirl selfie that I posted yesterday. That was how you use the 'selfie' to sell a character. You can see Batgirl doing that with her phone - Flash, not so much.