Sunday, July 20, 2014

James Garner - Dead At 86

 
James Garner, the wry and handsome leading man who slid seamlessly between television and the movies but was best known as the amiable gambler Bret Maverick in the 1950s western “Maverick” and the cranky sleuth Jim Rockford in the 1970s series “The Rockford Files,” was found dead in his California home on Saturday night, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed on Sunday. He was 86.
 
This one really hits me where I live. James Garner was one of the great stars and no comedy, especially a western comedy, was complete without him. I remember him way back in the 70s when he made Support Your Local Gunfighter and Support Your Local Sheriff. Two nearly identical movies made by the same cast of characters - both with Garner in the lead. They showed both of these often at the Matinees I went to as a kid and it was always a treat because the theater would be filled with as many Dads and kids because Garner was popular in all age brackets. He never swore or felt the need to work 'blue'. He was a solid addition to any cast. I will miss him.
 

 

 
If you come from a certain time, The Rockford Files was MUST SEE TV. He had a great charm and sense of humor that came across on screen. I am glad he left behind some great movies that we always can enjoy. None more so than my VERY favorite James Garner movie - the Disney Classic - Castaway Cowboy.
 

 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I thought James Garner past away shortly after the release of Disney's "Atlantis" in 2001. Shame on me for thinking such greatness could be snuffed out so soon.

profsafety said...

RIP, he was one of the great ones.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I always enjoyed him in any movie or TV show of his that I saw.

david_b said...

Ditto and ditto.., weird to say, but he was always one of those you always expected to hang around forever.

Great sadness in my heart.

DrGoat said...

Me too. Grew up with James Garner, all my favorites are disappearing. Very sad day.