Saturday, July 12, 2014

Toys I Regret Buying And Others I Don't

Back in the 90s when I first got back into toy collecting, the only place where you could find new versions of Marvel characters like Dr. Strange and Captain America was in the Spider-Man line based on the animated series. If another character appeared in the cartoon, there was a pretty good chance that he or she would make it onto toy shelves.

 
The difference between the two is that the Dr Strange is beautiful while this Cap is an abomination. Strange has a thick plastic cape that can be posed in a way that gives the character the illusion that he is floating which is just what you want Doctor Strange to be doing on display. I loved this character and this presentation so much that I got into the six inch figures in a big way.

I regret now that I opened about the first 50 or so that I bought. I still have all the backing cards but it's not the same as being complete. Keeping the cards lets me know all the parts that come with each figure and what pieces I need to find in my loose figure tubs. Only then can I display them loose but complete.

 
It was more important to give Cap a sparkly shield than to make a sparkly shield that was actually TO SCALE with the figure. It looks goofy on Captain America's arm. If you are going to make a CAPTAIN AMERICA figure, you really need to get the shield right. This one Cap has to hold like a gun if you can believe that.

 

I hate the little pull string. For the few sparks it makes it's hardly worth it to have this 'effect'. Give me a proper sized shield that Cap can throw and you've got something here.
 
 

5 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Glad you freed them from their plastic prisons.

Kal said...

NOOOOO...I admire both the figure and the packaging. It's the best of both world to me. Enough of them out there running free and I love showing off the box art.

Dr. Theda said...

Dr. Strange is a cool figure....

Tim Knight said...

That Dr Strange is fantastic.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

that IS a cracking Strange figure, indeedy...