Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Treasure Of Starlog Magazines

 


I had a great love for Starlog magazine when I was a teen. In the days before the Internet this was one of the great sources of news about Science Fiction and Fantasy films and other such genre television shows. It was well written an researched with great photography. A perfect example of how this movie could generate excitement is with this article on Laserblast. It seemed like the coolest movie ever and it was only until years later that I saw how bad it actually is. Not even a third movie at the Drive-In.

However I wasn't mad at Starlog because they described the movie without reviewing it for us. They took us backstage to show the process of making these kind of films. There was nothing else like that around at the time. This was a magazine that was meant to be read and re-read.

 
Brother Jeremy found this link for me and the rest of you who have missed these magazine or want to see what all the excitement was about.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Astarlogmagazine&sort=-publicdate&page=6

3 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Laserblast? Terrible name for a laser eye surgery. Scares away the customers.

Jordan said...

Wow! You've ruined my afternoon (and I mean that in a good way).

I used to love these Starlog magazines. I loved the first 10 issues or so, when all the great stuff (Superman The Movie, Star Wars, Star Trek The Motion Picture, Blade Runner etc.) was all just tantalizingly over the horizon.

Kal said...

That's just it. We never realized how great and informative that magazine was. We were so spoiled before the internet came along. Just waiting for the movies they were talking about was exciting. I felt like I was in on the secret.