Thursday, August 14, 2014

I Don't Trust The Weather Network

Once again the stupid Weather Network has been playing with my emotions. It has been unbearably hot here in Central Alberta with a weeks worth of 30 degrees temps. It's also too hot to sleep well without waiting up with the sweats. Several fans help but I am a polar bear and when it gets like this I search online for a good air conditioner. I forgot how much I hated the heat last year but with only a couple of weeks left in the summer it doesn't make sense to invest in something that will be useless in a month. Remind me next May that I am suffering now.

Every night I see the clouds try to form when the temperature goes down but none of them can pull the cord and create a nice, cooling rain. I can even SMELL the rain coming but an hour later the skies are clear without a single drop falling.

Global climate change is real. I know these things come in waves in the history of a planet but I remember when I first came to Alberta to attend cadet camp. The days were often really hot but at night the rains would come. Almost nightly that was the case. It was one of the best things about moving from Manitoba, which I loved. I can take any heat and suffering if I know the rains are coming.

In the past decade however, that pattern is no longer the case. Rain is more infrequent in the summer but the winters are colder with more snow. When we do have storms these days, it feels like ten regular rains in one with lots of rain, hail, lightning and thunder.

So tonight I watch again. This morning the Weather Network told me I would be hip deep in downpour by 9 pm. Yet, here I wait. Maybe I will go have a shower and simulate the joys of getting wet. Meteorology is such a voodoo science. No one ever gets things right despite all the technology at their disposal.

 

No comments: