Saturday, August 9, 2014

I Love Stories Of Sheep Shearing

 
Shrek was a Merino sheep, a castrated male, belonging to South Island, New Zealand, who gained international fame in 2004 owing to his gigantic coat of fleece. Shrek became famous after escaping his enclosure and evading the shearers for six years by hiding in caves. Merino sheep are usually shorn annually but Shrek managed to escape the blade for six years straight. When he was finally caught, the sheep was unrecognizable. “He looked like some biblical creature,” said John Perriam, Shrek’s owner.


 

 
I could watch things like this all day long. I wish there was a sheep shearing channel on the satellite. I would have that one on constant loop. It would be like picture in picture with my morning Maury Povich. This happened in 2004 originally and the sheep died in 2011.
 
You can see the television coverage by going HERE.
 

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I heard a great radio story on CBC One last weekend as I was driving from Brandon to Winnipeg -- it was the humorist Bill Richardson's tale of how he went to sheep shearing school (just in order to do something completely different). The poor sheep he had to shear to graduate was called Emily and he felt bad for her.

Kal said...

I would have eaten up that story with a spoon. I still love the Sundowners. That Robert Mitchum was all man.

Kal said...

I would have eaten up that story with a spoon. I still love the Sundowners. That Robert Mitchum was all man.