Sunday, August 17, 2014

TV Times

I still gotta go with The Strain and The Last Ship for fun and entertainment on a Sunday Night. Both tell very different stories but in their genres, they tell them well.


The Strain is on slow boil but will be getting good the further the vampire plague spreads. It doesn't give it's secrets up easily or quickly to be sure. But it's a good wait. I will trust and enjoy as I have through the first five episodes. It seems like the creators have a vision here. They have frightened and delighted me all at the same time. Our team of monster fighting heroes is also shaping up nicely with the weird city rat killer and the gangster boxer getting closer to meeting the old man. Gives me everything I can ask for a good Sunday night summer show? (FX Canada -13 Episodes)

 
The Last Ship is every Republican's wet dream. Spreading the American Dream in a world lost to a deadly virus with a nuclear vessel. The Russian Battleship Commander chasing them is the best cold war villain to have come down the pipe in a long time. It's goofy but boy does it get the job done. It's the best thing Michael Bay ever set his name to if that tells you anything.



 
Anyone want to talk me into Fargo?
 
 

7 comments:

j-swin said...

Fargo was great. Martin freeman did a great job, and billy bob was an amazing villain, you just wanted him to do his evil thing. Didn't care much for Colin hanks and his story but it tied everything together. Key & peele show up too as FBI and lighten things up a bit, all in all, it was pretty good.

j-swin said...

And yes, the strain is awesome. Loves me some Guillermo! My wife said the show is spot on with the book (which he wrote).

Kal said...

That's what always bugged me. Why not reshoot a great comic book page for page instead of trying to do a rewrite of something that already worked.

Kal said...

I will give Fargo a try then J-swim. I need a new show in the hopper.

j-swin said...

the happah!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Not sure how much I could into the Strain since I've read the book its based on already. Sounds like Gus and Vicilli are on board and may be getting bigger roles earlier on.

Kal said...

I would be interested what you think having read the book. I am waiting to read the comic after the show ends this season.