Monday, August 18, 2014

World's Strongest Mountain

Next to sheep shearing there is nothing I can lose myself in watching than Strength Competitions. Those seasons of World's Stongest Man with my fav, Magnus Ver Magnuson, the Icelandic strongman, were some of the best times I spent watching TV with my Dad. He loved things that that and Iron Chef, the goofier competitions.

This is a clip from the latest world championship. It was also dominated by another local Icelandic boy, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson who you also know as The Mountain on Game of Thrones. I admit that I don't watch that show. I hated all the early deaths of characters I had barely got to know. I didn't realize that would be the case going in and the show hit me at a time when I was trying to watch less death and destruction.

Then I caught on the wire that Peter Dinklage could be gone so I watched the fight between this Beast and the nice boy who jumped and spun around a lot. I liked him. I like watching him win that fight. Until he didn't.

Anyways. Never count out an Icelandic Strongman is the lesson from that show. It's also the lesson from this clip. He didn't beat the completion, he destroyed them in a sport where there is not a lot of difference in strength between the top guys. There is only so much strength that a human being can have, physically, scientifically. The best guys do things that amaze me.



1 comment: