Monday, October 13, 2014

Countdown To Halloween - More Bijou Of Cool Favorites

 
 
 
The first and greatest of the crazy psycho with a mask and a machete movies. A film that spawned a whole genre of films. It's never been equaled in the amount of sheer terror it brought to me in my seat. It's the reason I hate to watch horror films in the theatre. I just can't stop the movie when I get too scared and need to just stop the scares and hug a puppy.
 
 
 
Another movie my Mother refused to take me to or allow my father to take me to because of all the anti-Catholic bits. My mother also was not a fan of the Exorcist which meant I never saw that movie until college. This movie taught me never to trust little kids. Any one of them could be the devil. Always check under the hair for the 666 numbers. Then get out your holy knives and start stabbing.
 
 
 
My aunt came all the way to Germany so that she could take me to this movie. Well that is what I believed when I was 11. I knew my mother wouldn't take me to see this one but after watching the trailer I just thought I wouldn't be so scared. Was I ever wrong? The ending to the movie is also the first time I had ever seen the 'hand out of the grave' shot and I am sure I pooped in my pants a little. The film has such a disturbing first half that I was actually happy to watch Carrie take her revenge. No film shoots me full of fear adrenaline like this one.
 

 
This was the first movie I took a girl to. Not the greatest of choices. Two hours of claustrophobic terror with an unstoppable, slobbering alien monster. Good times. I dug into her hand with my nails as much as she dug into my arm with hers. Then we had to go home in the dark on a dark bus. Everything became a little too real after that.
 

 
This was the first movie that I watched over and over again during the dawn of the Video Age. It seemed to also be on cable everyday back in the day. Jenny Aguter can't be beat in ANYTHING she does and the violence and special effects were over the top, scary but still fun. It's rare how often all those items come together.
 
 

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Halloween is not only my favorite horror film, it is my favorite film of all. I just never tire of it. Might seem slow to today's younger audience, but the pacing is part of what makes it all work so well. Watched it three times last week, with different commentaries from different people involved in the making of the movie. And watched Part II last night, with commentary. While not as great as the original, it is a worthy follow-up and continuation of that night.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

All good choice. Just rewatched Halloween this past week.