Sunday, November 9, 2014

Favorite Television This Week

 
Snow killed Sister Ruth's son. She dealt out righteous biblical justice upon him. Go Sister Ruth. Bad ass preacher of the prairies. I can't believe that Cullen will let her be hanged for a justifiable homicide. Knowing what I do about Ruth and her past, I so wish I could be her lawyer. I would get her off with an apology from the judge for ever daring to bring charges in the first place. Who else but Durant could defend her? Two more episodes to work out this latest challenge. I don't want Ruth to leave the program.

 
 
I am unbelievably happy to read that in addition to the rest of this season, there will be a FIFTH glorious season of my beloved Hell On Wheels. If you haven't been watching you are missing out on a show that will be talked about in the same breadth as Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, both more high profile AMC shows. Hell on Wheels can hold it's own with those other groundbreaking dramas. Saving it for Saturday night was also a stroke of genius. There is NOTHING good on any of the channels at Saturday night - well except for COPS and Doctor Who when I used to watch that program (my feelings on Doctor Who this year is it's own post).


The Good Wife is still very good and the best written weekly drama on television. Better than the slow and ponderous HOMELAND. Claire Daines is really starting to wear on my last nerve for all the dumb decisions she has made. How she keeps working in the CIA after all her major fails is beyond me but kinda explains why America screwed the pooch in Iraq.


 
TRUE TELEVISION CONFESSIONS

I can't watch the last four episodes of Boardwalk Empire despite my reverence for that program. I never missed a week until this month. I can't let it go but I have to know how everything ends up for all the characters I have followed for years. But it will hurt so much when it's over.


I haven't watched the Walking Dead this season and I totally bailed on last season as well. I found the whole thing to be so relentless sad (and not sad like I like - this was hopelessly sad) and I couldn't go through the emotions. The show is so well done and so effective on one's emotions and psychie that I can't take it. I thought saving up whole seasons would make it easier for me because I wouldn't have to wait a week to now that happened. But I have never gotten back to those. I can't do it.


Game of Thrones I am illiterate about. Don't ask me anything about it. I know nothing.

I have never seen an episode of Mad Men or Dexter.


I only watched the first two episodes of this new season of Doctor Who. I need to be convinced it will not continue to be a waste of my time after the beginning of the season was so very weak. I have stopped liking Clara and that doesn't sit well with me.

 

8 comments:

j-swin said...

This season of doctor who was pretty much useless. No chemistry between him and Clara, boring stories and a weak overall arch. The last two parter eps were ok only because Stephen Moffett wrote them...I miss Matt Smith...

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I probably wouldn't be watching Doctor Who if I didn't have to review it. Peter Capaldi is growing on me while Jenna Coleman is continuing to alienate me. The finale was a whole lot of "what was the point of that?"

DrGoat said...

Very glad to hear Hell on Wheels will have another season. Good shows are as rare as hen's teeth. Looking forward to the new, and last, season of Justified. Really gonna miss that one.
PS Not sure what's going to happen to Ruth. Have a feeling she will go free but leave Cheyenne.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I want to ride from town town dispensing western justice to the non believers.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Dressed in white while riding a black horse.

DrGoat said...

Like to see that!

Simon B said...

I have to go against the prevailing opinion here and say I've enjoyed this year's Doctor Who. They're trying something new with Capaldi's harsher, more alien Doctor and - while it doesn't always work - it's a refreshing change, in my opinion. Check out my reviews at The Glass Walking-Stick, Cal, for more ( relatively )in-depth thoughts on the show. I think you should give the show another look, especially the second half of the season, when the stories became darker and more challenging.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I think the change was just so jarring that I wasn't sure what to think. I still have them there waiting to be watched. I am sure I will binge sometime soon. Thanks for reminding me to keep the faith.