Monday, November 3, 2014

I Am Evel Kievel


I Am Evel Knievel Teaser from Network Entertainment on Vimeo.

I grew up in the 70s so that pretty much guarantees that I would be a fan of daredevil motorcyclist Evel Knievel. I have talked many times about how his toy from Ideal was the greatest toy I ever owned. The thing was practically indestructible. You can read about my memories and see great pictures by following the link below.

 
 
 
These two are the oldest figures in my collection and the only ones I still have from my childhood. Seeing them was a huge motivator that got me back into toys in my 20s.
 
I also remember going with my Father to the Jr Ranks club on the military base to watch special Saturday airings of Wild World Of Sports events like his jumps or Muhammad Ali fights so many of these clips were very familiar to me.

 
 
 
I liked this portrait of the man, both good and bad, by those who knew him best. Regardless of how he treated them, they all had great respect and reverence for the man who invented a persona that made him world famous. I left the film with a greater respect for all Evel was able to accomplish in his life and career, especially on a street bike that was never intended to be jumped over a dozen buses.


Great 70s nostalgia like all the great merchandise that Evel put his name to.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

That man was something else for all of us that grew up in that era...I would watch him on tv, play with his toys and ride my bike around the neighborhood pretending to be him....I even got to see his rocket car once when I was a kid along with the 1966 Batmobile the same day....glorious!