Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"Remember, Remember, The Fifth Of November"


There are a few movies that I watch once a year but none that I watch on a SPECIFIC day of the year. November fifth is always the time for V For Vendetta, the fantastic pro-freedom movie by the makers of the Matrix.

 
It is of course based on the same dystopian graphic novel by Alan Moore. Moore, famously, is not a fan of this movie version of his story but to me the motion picture is so much better than his often ponderous written word. That notwithstanding, V is the kind of vigilante who takes a great look and brilliant man to create. He is as uncompromising in his methods as is his society with their oppressive version of  their nationalist ideology.

I like to hope that if I lived in such a world that I would fight the good fight while wearing a Guy Fawkes mask. I would also include the cape and Shakespearian way of speaking. It's the performer in me. So today is my one day that I wish I could take on the man single handed with 'just my knives and my 'fancy karate'.



I especially love V's final dance with death. It is so balletic and majestic. It's how every hero wants to die, with a smile on his face behind the mask.




Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t’was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli’ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England’s overthrow;
By God’s providence he was catch’d
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
And what should we do with him? Burn him!

 

4 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Happy Guy Fawkes' Day...

Dr. Theda said...

And thank you for posting the entire little "rhyme".... to be recited while you throw the "Guy" effigy upon the bonfire....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh shit! I have that movie on my PVR and should have watched it yesterday. Oh well, next year.

JDsivraj said...

Nothing says freedom like a guy involved in a plot to murder people to put a Catholic monarch on the English throne...