Monday, January 12, 2015

New To The Collection Of Cool

 
I have mentioned before that I was a huge GI JOE fan as a kid. I collected the 12 inch figures and had dozens of outfits and vehicles and accessories that allowed for hours and hours of great play. When we moved back to Canada from Europe, all my toys were lost when the cargo ship suck to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. It broke my heart but what was I to do?
 
Years later I started seen new GI JOE figures but at 3 3/4 inches tall with painted on clothing they were quite the come down from the fantastic soldier doll I was used to so I passed on those and in many ways passed on collecting action figures ever again.
 
Then I saw a fantastic Doctor Strange figure from the Amazing Spider-Man line and I was hooked again. Most of my figures are of the six inch variety since replacing my Classic GI JOE collection was financially unworkable at the time. On occasion I would buy a single figure (like my Teddy Roosevelt and Tuskeegee Airman) but nothing else. I do look longingly at the classic adventure sets on EBay but they too can be impossible to find mint with a nice box.
 
A few months ago I was given this nice GI JOE figure but I found that I had nothing to dress him up in. I had no gear or even a nice hat. I so wish I lived in the states where I could pick up bits and pieces for him at the local flea markets and toy shows for little or no investment.
 
So I thought I would put out the call to anyone who had extra stuff they didn't need and could gift to me. Barbecue 17, one of my fine followers took up my challenge and sent me his great box of stuff. I just spent the hour dressing and redressing my JOE and getting him ready for his first mission - this photo shoot.
 
J. Reed was the same guy who sent me my Snake Plisken figure from Funko. I hope the gift I send to him in return meets with the same joy that his gifts have brought to me. The collecting of Classic GI JOE is once again a part of my hobby and I am glad to be one the hunt once again for that great stuff they put out in the 60s and 70s.
 
So thanks to Barbecue 17 for thinking of me. This is my favorite thing about having a blog - getting to know like minded travelers.
 


8 comments:

Mike said...

Awesome! That is so cool!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's extremely cool. I was awesome just seeing how much gear I could get him to carry.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, what amazing swag he sent you -- and so much of it! A true friend indeed! And GIJoe is Shoeless Joe no more!

nolan said...

So glad to see you got him squared away. Love the expression on his face. He's like: "Come at me, bro!"

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Just the look I was going for. I even got a CUP!

Barbecue17 said...

He looks great, man. Glad you got him all squared away and geared up!

I would have liked to get him to you closer to Christmas but it seems like he has still been well received!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was a great surprise. Thanks so much for thinking of me my brother. Watch the mailbox. Anything specific you collect. Give me your blog again. I want to do some research to gift you something you would really appreciate. Want to do my research because you have been very kind to me.

Barbecue17 said...

actionfigurebarbecue.blogspot.com

I'm just enjoying seeing your Joe all decked out. Those close had been in a G.I. Joe tin for far too long and needed to see some action!