Sunday, January 11, 2015

Nora The Piano Playing Cat



I find this whole video to be genius. To take a video of a famous piano playing cat named Nora and combine it with orchestrated music is a great concept to begin with. When you find out that the whole project is an attempt to get children more interested in music, you see the genius. The illusion is done so well that for a second I actually believed that cat was playing alone with the orchestra and it felt magical. And isn't that the whole point?

Here is more of the concert footage and the original clip that vent viral years ago when Nora first appeared on the scene. I like her little buddies that just showed up to hear her play.



4 comments:

Jordan said...

That is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

(I know I'll calm down in a few minutes and properly contextualize my reaction, but oh my God, is that great. I can't remember the last time I laughed that explosively with sheer delight while sober and alone.)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The idea alone is s well executed that you have to clap at the computer screen. The musical piece perfectly builds on what the cat created.

Jordan said...

Right, and, as you said, the illusion that the cat is "in on it" (that the causality runs the other way) imbues the cat's behavior with all this wonderful "artistic" nuance.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love Nora and I love the human-feline musical collaboration. There should be more of it!