Tuesday, January 6, 2015

State of the Cave of Cool

Number of posts by this date - 28,274

631 Followers

I have to be honest with you. After all these years I have NO IDEA what the difference between a PAGE VISIT and a PAGE VIEW. I just usually look at the lower band of numbers when together they make my traffic look so much better. I once had much larger numbers only a year ago. I wonder why such a drop off. Have I become to predictable and thus boring? Have people outgrown the things that interest me?
 
I have done and written and posted everything myself. This is my brain out there. Not much to be sure but have some respect for the dedication to a vision. Not ever going to change the world but for some it's a nice community of like minded travelers. I like to think I put my own interesting slant on your standard blog and that I do it better than most. If there was a way to objectively be judge I would welcome that.
 
I would like to know how the Cave of Cool has made your life a better or worse place. Not just a plea for comments because I want only sincerity. What do YOU get out of this voodoo that I do?
 

5 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

If the world had more blogs like yours ... There would way too much Cool "stuff" to ever try and view more than a bit...
You do a Great job , good Sir Kal... We enjoy your many posts .... and you often give us something about which to "Smile"....
Keep up the Great work...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, I've been reading your balloon juice for a few years now, Cal, and I can honestly say this is why your blog is consistently one of my faves:

1. You make me laugh. A lot. You have an outstanding sense of humour.

2. I agree with most of your opinions. You have clearly thought deeply about many things in this world.

3. You have a great eye for design, photos, art, etc. I see things on this blog I see nowhere else. Also you're good to steal from for that same reason.

4. I have a weakness for Manitobans. We can do no wrong, my brother.

Tim Knight said...

I have to agree with the above comments. Keep doing what you are doing.

The Cave Of Cool has a unique vibe which is YOU and people get that.

As I think I've said to you before the way people are reading blogs is changing - with new interfaces etc - and I'm pretty certain these aren't registering with the 'hit counters'.

For instance I read blogs now through Feedly. This shows me the content of a page without actually taking me to the blog I'm reading. It's only if I click through that I go to the blog and "get counted" as a hit, for instance if I want to leave a comment.

Don't let the stats influence your thinking. The Cave Of Cool is a very special place on the Internet where a lot of people like to hang out (I've seen if namechecked on numerous other blogs over the years).

As to the hits and views thing. My interpretation is that the first time a person looks at your page it counts as both a 'hit' and a 'view', but subsequent visits from the same IP address just count as "page views". So you might have 693 people looking at your site one day, but they are reading 1,336 posts.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Y'all speak the truth.

The Flying Dachshund said...

I come here for the humor and the sense that someone else gets what I too find humorous about the world.. Sorry for my absence in the last year... Moved and then lost the computer to a bad fan... Now back and able to view the Cave once more!!