Sunday, February 8, 2015

And The Secret Wars Begins

I am planning a larger post about the original SECRET WARS mini-series which was huge in my life. It hit me right when I was totally into collecting and reading comic books. They were my life. If there was the Internet at the time I would have lived in those comic book chatrooms. Luckily all that past me by and I rarely talk comics with anyone - much to my sadness - because there is nothing more fun than discussing a great story with a fellow comic book fan.

I once met a girl through X-men comics that I lent her to read when she spent long hours alone during cadet camp. She was cute and totally loved everything about mutant superheroes, something she had no idea existed before I showed her the first issue. We would talk comics for hours while we did our security patrols at night. We even had X-men type codenames. She was Whiteout and could blind others with a flash of color and I was the Sandman, who had the power to induce sleep in others. This as all before Neil Gaiman and the Sandman character we know today. These were just the first of many characters we made up during those summer nights working security at the Cadet Camp. It was like we were cops on night shift and only saw each other and the rest of our crew. We watched a movie every early morning during our box 'supper'. That was such a great summer and I blame it on comic books. I often wondered what happened to her and if she remained a comic fan past that summer.

This has nothing to do with what I was talking about but this newest Chapter in Marvel's huge Secret Wars revival was just announced.

The series will feature A-Force, a new, all-female team that will replace the Avengers during the events of Marvel’s Secret Wars mega-crossover.

The team will consist of She-Hulk, Medusa, Dazzler, Nico Minoru and many of Marvel's other top female heroes. The series will also debut a new, cosmically powered heroine named Singularity, a pocket universe that gained sentience during the incursion events leading up to Secret Wars. Without an innate gender of her own, Singularity chooses to become female.

 
 

6 comments:

nolan said...

A-Force?
What about XX-Force (Like the chromosome, geddit?)
:p

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Singularity sounds very cool. And Nolan has a good idea! XX-Force, I like it!

Unknown said...

The Secret Wars are what first got me in to comics. I was aware of most of the characters to a certain degree but this is what really got me interested. Spidey's black suit, Dr Doom's grab for power and how things turn out for Ben Grim. So much going on. And trying to understand the nature of how these characters deal with their powers.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Well Marvel is looking to reduce the number of X-Books after Secret War to try and get the X-Men movie rights back, so they probably didn't want "XX Force" getting mixed up or else have people think it was one letter away from XXX.

Plus "A-Force" would appear at the top of the order forms, so that retails would be sure to reserve lots of copies!

nolan said...

Plus Shulkie looks great (as always).

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I was there for it all too. The Black Spider Suit, Ben Grimm on an Alien world. The Beyonder. I will read this one and hope it's just as good.

And as for DOOM...ONCE AGAIN, he had it all and he got vain and stupid. GAH. I knew he couldn't win just once.

Gotta admit that the stuff with Cap and his Shield made me cry.