Monday, February 16, 2015

Ascension

 
I am still sitting with my mouth open at the end of the first episode of Ascension - a three part mini-series about a murder on a spaceship carrying 600 people on a centuries long voyage to another planet.

That concept alone would be interesting but then the creators play the best trick on the viewers and now I have NO idea where the whole damn story is going. I have to re-evaluate EVERYTHING I saw in part one and boy is my brain loving the process. I LOVE to solve a good mystery and I have every confidence that ALL of my many, many questions will be answered be the end.

I so wish I could tell you more but it would ruin it for you if I did. Now all I have to hope for is that they don't screw me at the end of the three parts and make me come back for another season like Under The Dome tried to do.



 
GAH...THEY DID IT TO ME AGAIN!
THAT WASN'T AN ENDING!!
THAT WAS JUST A TEASE FOR ANOTHER SEASON!!
 
I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't like the show so much. It's backstabbing and politicking are fascinating to watch develop. I love how each character stays true to themselves no matter what situation is playing out before them. They are an immoral bunch with few if any redeeming qualities and that was terrific. I loved it right up until the end when you just left me with more questions and unresolved story threads. This show was very smart and knew where it was going but maybe it had too many good ideas to squeeze into a few hours of TV. I just wish you could have contained the story instead of using this FIRST season to get more work from SYFY. It seems like an audition piece at times. 
 
I could complain about all the casual drinking where NO ONE appears drunk and slurring their words and the fact that I never believed there were 600 people on the craft. But those are minor quibbles. There was enough of a 'Fringe' element or better put Twilight Zone tone to this whole little fable to make this one work for me.
 
But really, couldn't you have just give me a contained story that lives up to it's premise? You almost got there Ascension. Just this much short of being great. This show is going to bother me for awhile. I don't even want to research if there is going to be a season two or read any other reviews right now. I am just so let down by that ending.
 

No comments: