Wednesday, February 18, 2015

FLASH Does It Right Again


Of the two superhero series out there right now, I am watching the Flash every Tuesday night but saving up Gotham for a binge. Flash just became appointment TV for me. It's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. I like that it's world can exist alongside the world of Arrow. Both series show that DC can do their concepts right if they are animated features or on TV. I only wish their movie division could get their act together for all of five minutes so that DC could match Marvel's output of live action films. The stakes are so high for DC that they can't afford to make any mistakes so they micro-manage every part of their superhero movies to the point where the films become boring. I have big hopes for Superman vs Batman but that is all they are - hopes. But until that glorious day when I find myself back in the theatre, Flash will have to continue to quench my thirst for more of this genre.

Speaking of The Flash...


Gorilla Grodd is coming and the payoff of to this teaser was especially sweet. The beauty of his series is that every meta human or meta animal character can be explained by the explosion of the particle accelerator, even the mental powers of Grodd. Because of that great origin for all the characters Barry faces off against, everything feels organic, like a live action comic book. I was one who loved the 90s version of the Flash and this new version is also a fun and creative TV show. The episode tonight that resolved the 'Firestorm' problem was a gift to fans of the comic book. You could do a Firestorm spinoff and I would have no problem with that. The creators of his show must have read many of the same comics I did as a youth because they understand ALL the things that make the Flash great and are not afraid to tweak a little bit to fill their Universe with interesting characters.





 

3 comments:

j-swin said...

i think it's the best show on tv right now, it's just fun and energetic. the cast is doing a great job with their characters and the villains don't come off as corny. very well done show.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I just watched the trailer for next week when all the Wells shit hits the fan. I know we knew he was the bad guy all along but I was thrilled to see the show finally admit it to themselves.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Easily the best thing on TV right now.

Marvel can barely hold a candle to DC on TV right now.