Thursday, February 19, 2015

Funko Is Ready To Take Over Action Figures Once Again



 
Leonidas meets Rocky and Bullwinkle on your toy shelf? You can make it happen with FUNKO!


After taking over the world of cute vinyl figures (I never bought one of these cute pieces until they put out their POP line of toys) Funko moved into regular action figures and started producing figures at 3 3/4 inchers (just like the classic Star Wars toys from Kenner). They had the same limited articulation as the 70s figures but make up for it with great package art that begs to be displayed with the figure. You should feel extra bad for opening one of these.
 





 
At $10 they also are almost irresistible to smart collectors. What the smaller figures gave up in articulation they gained in coolness by also capturing the likenesses of characters who were underserved or not served at all by other lines. Figure from the GOONIES?? When did you think you would ever see that? Those guys are fans and hardcore geeks at Funko. 
 
 
 
The horror pieces themselves were a huge hit with every monster collector out there. I own one of the sweet Snake Plisskens. There is a variant of this one that doesn't have a jacket but it's only two of three Snake figures I have ever come across. Funko has gone outside the mainstream to produce characters that we ALL want to see in plastic.
 

 
Not to rest on their laurels, Funko has not produced a LEGACY line of six inch figures with twice the articulation and detail of their smaller figures. Also at $19.99 they are competitively priced with everything that Marvel or DC puts out. I mean just look at how gorgeous that Rocketeer figure is. All the detail you want and more. Plus it displays well. I have already pre-ordered mine. In all my days I have never seen a Rocketeer figure. They are rare because the movie never spawned any toys (?) Now Funko gives me two.
 
 
Funko has always gone after consumers who never knew they loved action figures. When the Game of Thrones line came out they were snapped up by fans of the show just hungry for any licensed products. The photorealistic likenesses are also impressive for the price. Only McFarlane Toys puts such great detail into their action figures.
 
 
 
 
If you want to see a complete collection of everything Funko has to offer just follow the link. As always I do this post because of my love for the figures but if Funko wants to toss a brother some swag for the effort, I won't complain one damn bit.
 
 

7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I was surprised to learn that Funko made some toys without the big heads and black eyes. I'd gladly put down money for their Derpy Hooves figurine!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I hear ya. I hated those cute vinyl figures until I saw the POP superheroes.


DrGoat said...

Rocky and Bullwinkle, doesn't get much better than that. Gotta get em.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

SEE!!

Monc said...

I really dig how the Star Trek figures look like the designs from the Filmation animated series of the 1970s.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It' all part of the retro look and feel to the figures.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

yeah, got sucked in by the POP.. have a Martian Manhunter and Batman Beyond I love, among others