Monday, May 18, 2015

Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell - Episode One - The Friends Of English Magic

I am so absolutely stunned by the beauty of the story that I can hardly begin to comment upon it. The show starts with a simple question upon which everything relies, "Why is there no more Magic done in England?"


We are introduced to a world where magic is studied by men who call themselves magicians but they perform no feats to amaze and astound. It's a great conceit to use something one does not believe in to enrich their lives and suppress the truth to their own advancement. So British and so brilliant.

In the time of the Napoleonic war, England needs a 'practical' magician like Mr Norrell.

I posted this trailer awhile back but it's worth seeing again if only to encourage you to find this show. I loved every second of it especially the SECOND time I watched the first episode. This is the other side of the world of Harry Potter.

I love the sets, the production values and the fact that EVERYONE has an interesting name. Seems to be all the rage. Honeybottom is my favorite so far.

'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never could.'"
 
Conversation between Strange and the Duke of Wellington
 
I love the character of Mr Norrell. He is all arrogance and ego but his distain for others is his weakness. He thinks he is in control of everything but the truth is that he is master of nothing and in reality, a dangerous simpleton with a very powerful set of skills.


As his wise manservant tells him...'Courage and CHARM' - two things that Mr Norrell does not possess. And then Mr Norrell goes to a posh diner party and everything falls apart. This is more complicated a world that I had any right to hope for.
 
 
The writing here is so brilliantly done that I feel years of relationships and history revealed to me with just a few lines of dialogue or a short scene between characters.
 
"A man under a hedge told me I was a magician so that is the occupation I wish to pursue - Jonathan Strange.
 

I would love to talk more about these characters but it would spoil the surprise for you. I hate I have to wait another week for the next episode. There is a reason magic is not done in England anymore - it attracts the most unsavory of characters because magic ALWAYS has a price - an often dark price.
 
 


4 comments:

Simon B said...

I've recorded the first episode but not watched it yet. I hope it holds my attention more than the book it's based on. The novel is highly praised but I found it incredibly slow and only managed to read about 100 of its 1000+ pages. The TV show looks a lot more lively and certainly has a fine cast...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What channel is this on, Cal? Probably one I don't get. But maybe it will come in time to PBS.

Kal said...

BBC. I downloaded the torrent.
And Simon, the show was well done. It made me want to read the novel which I am glad to find is not worth my time.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxwyromREMg

The first episode s on You Tube Debra.