Saturday, May 2, 2015

Thunderbirds Are Go!

 
I am a huge fan of the original Thunderbirds. I have dreams sometimes where I am flying my favorite Thunderbird 2 - the multipurpose hovercraft that can do ANYTHING. It also carries special crates of gear and smaller vehicles like the submarine and the drill necessary to save the day.


 
 
 
Maximum speed6200mph
ArmamentsMissile launcher
Propulsion2 variable-cycle gas turbine engines
12 variable cycle cruise jets in tail plane
4 vertical take off variable engines also for hovering
4 vertical take off chemical rockets in legs
PowerAtomic fusion reactor
Length250ft
Width180ft
Height60ft
 
 
As a big fan of the 60s British program, I was primed for the new animated show on ITV. I love the combination of CGI and physical miniatures. The characters are a bit bland but its the rescue vehicles that are the real stars of the show. They are showcased to their fullest potential. I know I can watch them launch all day long.



Compare the original footage to the latest example of the launching of Thunderbird 2.



No comments: