Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Clock And Dagger

 


In the 80s I was given a princely sum of 10 dollars a week to buy comic books. At 75 cents per I could get my favorites and experiment with new ideas like mini-series or entirely new characters. So many times I was lucky enough to be on the great floor of something terrific. Wolverine, The Punisher, Power Pack, Rom, New Mutants and Cloak and Dagger were great examples of comics I loved right from the start. Cloak and Dagger could have rested on their mutant laurels but they didn't. In fact they were just two street kids who were drugged by bad guys and those drugs reacted with their mutation and released their super powers. I loved that the two main characters didn't mix at all with the regular mutants who were multiplying like hotcakes in the 80s. There was no quality time at Charles Xavier's School Of Gifted Youngsters for these two. They could have easily been blended into the New Mutants which were starting their own title about the same time but never did that either.

Their first mini-series was pretty much all about just the two of them with few if any other characters and that was a great idea. Their RELATIONSHIP is the entire reason why they held my insterest. It's not a black/white thing. It's not a teen girl/teen boy sex things. It's about two people who need each other and grown to the point where they are more concerned with saving the other than saving themselves. Great stuff when I was in high school.











 

No comments: